Archbishop Tenison’s School
Archbishop Tenison School was founded in1685 by Thomas Tenison, who was then Vicar of St. Martins-in-the-Fields, Trafalgar Square, where the Founder’s Day service is still held each year.
The school was set up in the precincts of the church to provide free education for boys in London, moving to what is now the site of the National Gallery, then a house in Leicester Square before settling in Lambeth opposite the Oval cricket ground. It became a grammar school, then a comprehensive, grant maintained in 1993, Voluntary- Aided in 1998 and is now an Academy as part of the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education Multi-Academy Trust.
Thomas Tenison was an educational evangelist and went on to become Archbishop of Canterbury in 1695. His portrait can be found hanging in the National Portrait Gallery. In 1714, the year before he died, he established the first co-educational school in the country, at Croydon, which is still in existence today.
The school today has a strong Christian ethos and the Pastoral care is recognized as being exceptional.
The involvement of the Worshipful Company of Dyers began in 2009 when the Deputy Head of St. Saviours St. Olave’s was appointed Head of ATS. Since then the Company has proved to be an increasingly supportive friend through its many successes and challenges. Over the last 11 years examples of that support are as follows :
A sixth form was established in 2011. The company supported this initiative by initially giving bursaries to the students to encourage them to stay on to complete their education through sixth form and then latterly bursaries to support those in need once they had started at university. Sadly, for financial reasons, the school is no longer able to provide a sixth form education but during its 8 years of existence this initiative ensured that every single pupil left with either a place at university, an apprenticeship or employment.
In the field of sport, the only onsite facility the school has is its gymnasium. A grant made in 2012 enabled it to reconfigure and improve an area to provide a changing room enabling the facility to be better used. A grant in 2013 was spent on improving the playground area to be used for informal ball games.
In 2014 the Company grant covered the cost of connecting the entire school site to the internet and to provide a computer room for the students. This proved transformational and is probably the most used classroom in the school.
2015 saw the introduction of girls to the school and a special grant was made to provide for facilities not covered by the education authorities. Their arrival has been a resounding success with them making an instant. Enriching contribution to the school.
Subsequent years have seen support focused on improving examination results, initiatives to encourage leadership and work ethics.
With the advent of online classes during the Covid 19 pandemic, support was made available by The dyers to provide laptops for those many students whose only means of access was often a mobile phone.