The Dyers’ Almshouse Charity CIO
The Dyers’ Almshouse Charity CIO is registered with the Charity Commissioners for England & Wales (No. 1185932).
The first Dyers’ Company Almshouses were founded in the City of London in 1545 to look after dyers or their families who were elderly or fallen on hard times. Over the following centuries more Almshouses were added but were in various parts of London, so the Company decided to amalgamate them for convenience and a new Almshouse was commissioned at Balls Pond in Islington. The new building was completed in 1850 but by 1938 the city environment was deemed unhealthy and new Almshouses were built in Crawley, which at the time was a rural market town. A history of the story of how The Dyers bought the land at Crawley can be found at the bottom of this page.
The Crawley Almshouses
The Almshouses are situated in a 2½ acre conservation area in the centre of Crawley, with easy access to local shopping facilities and close to both Crawley and Three Bridges rail stations.
Built in the Arts & Crafts style they consist of thirty terraced bungalows on three sides of a garden square. Each has a sitting room, double bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, and an allotment size garden at the rear. There is a communal room for activities and small events, well maintained central gardens, and a parking area for residents’ cars.
A manager is on hand during the day, and there is 24 hour on-call cover in case of a fall or other emergency. However, the Almshouses are not suitable for anyone needing special care as we do not have medical facilities or medically qualified staff on site.
Residents pay a monthly maintenance fee. This is reviewed annually and always well below the comparable market rent for the area. Residents are responsible for their own electricity, telephone and council tax bills.