The Fourth Dyers’ Hall
Designed by Charles Dyer and bult in 1839-41, the current Hall is listed Grade II* and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Most people imagine that this building, fronting onto Dowgate Hill, is Dyers’ Hall – in fact the Hall is the building behind and the Court Room occupies the same space as the previous Hall – which you can see on the left hand side of the picture.
The front block contains the Company’s offices. It was built in 1856 in the Palladian style, comprising four storeys, basement and dormers. Originally designed as two houses (11 & 12) and The Bunch of Grapes public house (no 13) the building underwent a radical redesign in 1936 with the insertion of a raised ground floor and the incorporation of the three properties into one.
The raised ground floor has four windows to the Dowgate Hill frontage, one on a canted corner and two facing College Lane. An order of four Ionic pilasters to the first and second storeys support a pediment with lunette.
The College Street frontage included the original main entrance, and has a stuccoed elevation of three storeys with five windows to the channelled ground storey and three to each storey above. The first floor windows, of which the central one is dummy, are framed by Doric pilasters topped with urns and balustrade beneath square windows.
The current main entrance is on Dowgate Hill, with handsome cast iron gates decorated at the top with the painted arms of the Company enclosing a vaulted passage partly floored with decorative tiles including the arms of the Company.
In 2020 Dyers Hall is currently undergoing major refurbishment.
The history of Dyers Hall was revised in 2008 by Tony Dyson and Ian Mackintosh (The Company’s Archivist).
Download the PDF file below for The Origins of Dyers Hall.
Download the PDF file below for The Origins of the Dowgate Hill site.
Download the PDF file below for the story of The Great Fire and The Dyers Company